While the Texas Board of Pharmacy does not mandate formal education for pharmacy technicians, it is highly recommended. All pharmacy techs and trainees within Texas must register with the board before assuming employment within the state. An individual who goes beyond the state’s minimum requirements and pursue higher education get better opportunities and earn higher incomes. Furthermore, pharmacy technicians with certifications and degrees find it easier to make the step towards becoming licensed pharmacists. Pharmacy technician classes in Houston Texas cover vital areas such as record keeping, dispensing medication, packaging and labelling, law and ethics, medical terminology and pharmaceutical calculations. The programs at community colleges, vocational schools and universities prepare graduates to assume their responsibilities without extensive in-house training at their new place of employment.
Houston Community College
Houston Community College aims to provide workforce training through its pharmacy technician program. There are three program levels – the Retail – Occupational Skills Award, the Certificate Level 2, and the Pharmacy Technician Specialization – AAS.
Retail – Occupational Skills is a fast track training that prepares students for entry-level employment in just 13 weeks. Lecture and lab will cover the first 8 weeks of the program and the pharmacy technician externship comprising of 160 contact hours of practical training will take in the final 5 weeks. Topics covered include Pharmaceutical Mathematics I, Community Pharmacy Practice, Pharmacy Technician Certification Review, Clinical – Pharmacy Technician/Assistant, and Professional Practices for Pharmacy Technicians.
Pharmacy Technician – Certificate Level 2 covers 38 credit hours of instruction in three semesters. Course topics include Drug Classification, Pharmaceutical Mathematics I, Community Pharmacy Practice, Professional Practices for Pharmacy Technicians, Institutional Pharmacy Practice, Pharmacotherapy & Disease Process, Compounding Sterile Preparations, Pharmaceutical Mathematics II, Clinical Pharmacy Technician/Assistant I, II and Capstone, and Pharmacy Technician Certification Review. Candidates must complete the prerequisite courses Introduction to Health Professions and Introduction to Pharmacy.
Pharmacy Technician – Specialization – AAS is open to candidates who have complete the Pharmacy Technician Certificate program. The covers 60 credit hours specifically designed for health science professionals to meet continuing education goals and gain entry to advanced level clinical posts. The duration of the program is 2 years – 5 semesters. Courses include Drug Classification, Pharmaceutical Mathematics I, Community Pharmacy Practice, Professional Practices for Pharmacy Technicians, Institutional Pharmacy Practice, Compounding Sterile Preparations, Pharmaceutical Mathematics II, Pharmaceutical Mathematics II, Pharmacotherapy and Disease Process, Clinical – Pharmacy Technician/Assistant I, II, and Capstone and Pharmacy Technician Certification Review. Final years courses include Social/Behavioral Sciences Elective, Composition I, Math/Natural Science Elective, Humanities/ Fine Arts Elective, General Education Elective, Composition II, and General Education Elective.
- Submit a completed application
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade C (GPA 2.0) or higher
- Complete a placement test – for applicants who did not attend high school
- Complete a background check
- Complete a physical exam on the HCC physical exam form
- Provide proof of medical insurance
- Take and pass a 21-panel drug screen
- Provide record of immunizations – Tetanus, MMR, Varicella, Seasonal Flu, TB Skin test, and Hepatitis B
- Must have current CPR (BLS) certification
The program cost for the Level II program is $2,764. It includes tuition, PTCB exam, uniforms, books, medical insurance, physical exam, vaccinations, background check, drug screen, TSBP Technician Trainee Registration, and parking.
- Website: https://www.hccs.edu/programs/areas-of-study/health-sciences/pharmacy-technician/
- Address: 3100 Main St., Houston TX 77002
- Phone: (713) 718-2000
Lone Star College – North Harris
The pharmacy technology certificate program at Lone Star College is a three-semester program that prepares students to enter the pharmacy profession. The Certificate program can be stacked and credits earned (34 credits) can be applied toward the Pharmacy Management AAS Degree. Course topics include Community Pharmacy Practice, Learning Framework: 1st Year Experience, Pharmaceutical Mathematics I, Drug Classification, Pharmacy Law, Clinical I Community Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Mathematics II, Pharmacotherapy & Disease Process, Compounding Sterile Preparations & Aseptic Technique, Clinical II Institutional Pharmacy, Institutional Pharmacy Practice, and Pharmacy Technician Certificate Review. Students enter the program in the fall and complete the training in the next fall. The huge demand for training at the North Harris campus may extend the course duration to one year for evening students. The American Society of Health-System Pharmacists-accredited program helps students succeed at the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination to obtain national certification.
- Demonstrate college readiness
- Submit high school transcript and transcripts of any college courses completed
- Must have a high school diploma or GED before applying to the program
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen before commencing the pharmacy technician externship
- Complete the Hepatitis B immunization series
- Complete a physical exam through a licensed physician
- Must have student liability insurance
- Provide an updated immunization record – TB skin test, MMR, and varicella
- Current CPR certification
The rate of tuition based on residency is $862 per semester for full-time students. Additional cost for textbooks, supplies and college fees and not included.
- Website: http://www.lonestar.edu/pharmacy-tech-certificate.htm
- Address: 2700 West W Thorne Drive Houston, TX, United States
- Phone: (281) 618-5400
University of Houston Downtown
University of Houston Downtown campus facilitates a certificate pharmacy technician program that provides 50 hours of classroom instruction and skills practice. Course topics include the history of pharmacy and healthcare, drug regulation and control, parenterals and compounding, aseptic technique and handling of sterile products, routes and formulations, pharmaceutical terminology and anatomy, pharmacy technician certification review and registration, basic biopharmaceutics, Total Parenteral Nutrition, factors affecting drug activity, brand names and generic drugs, inventory management and financial issues, and drug names and classes. Students will participate in an 80-hour pharmacy externship after completing the requirements in the classroom. At the end of the program, graduates will know how to dispense medication, compound a prescription order, receive and screen prescriptions, manage billing, maintain pharmacy equipment, purchase pharmaceuticals, control inventory and assist pharmacist in serving customers. Students meet from 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm two days a week.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Background check, physical and drug screen may be required to participate in the pharmacy externship
Tuition is $1399 inclusive of course materials and externship.
- Website: https://www.uhd.edu/Pages/home.aspx
- Address: 2700 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, TX 77058
- Phone: (713) 221-8032
Texas Southern University
The comprehensive 75-hour pharmacy technician program is designed to equip students with the skills to obtain entry-level employment in a pharmacy setting and pass the PTCB exam. The program will cover medical terminology, history of pharmacy, generic and brand name drugs, dosage calculations and measurements, reading and interpreting prescriptions, aseptic techniques, inventory control, IV flow rates, sterile compounding, billing and reimbursement, and total parental nutrition. At the conclusion of the program, students will complete a graded exam to prepare for the PTCB exam.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must have taken math and science in high school
The course fee is $1299.
- Website: http://www.tsu.edu/academics/colleges-and-schools/office-of-continuing-education/pharmacy-tech-certification.html
- Address: 3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, TX 77004
- Phone: 713-313-7011
PIMA Medical Institute
PIMA Medical Institute’s pharmacy technician certificate program is a 35.5-credit program that day students complete in 35 weeks. Evening students complete the training in 41 weeks. The objective of the educational program is to equip students with the knowledge and practical skills to succeed as entry-level pharmacy technicians. The comprehensive syllabus covers topics such as computer basics, math fundamentals, CPR and First Aid, anatomy and physiology, pharmacy math, principles of customer service, pharmacology, pharmacy lab, chemistry and advanced pharmacy math. Other modules include fundamentals of chemistry, pharmacy computer applications, and pharmacy law and ethics. The total number of program hours is 840. At the end of the class, graduates can challenge the PTCB national exam to obtain certification.
- A high school diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years or older – parental waiver is required for persons under 18
- Take an entrance exam and pass with a minimum score
Tuition is $ $15,461 plus expenses for books and supplies. Financial aid is available in the form of Federal Loans for qualifying students.
- Website: http://pmi.edu/Programs/Certificate/Pharmacy-Technician
- Address: 10201 Katy Freeway Houston, TX 77024
- Phone: 800-477-PIMA
San Jacinto College
The Pharmacy Technician Program at San Jacinto College is a certificate program that students complete in 3 months. The 32-credit program equips students with skills and knowledge to qualify for a job as an entry-level pharmacy technician. The course structure is also designed to prepare students for national certification. Course modules include essentials of medical terminology, drug classifications, pharmacy math, introduction to pharmacy, community pharmacy practice, pharmacy drug therapy, compounding medications, institutional pharmacy practice. In the final semester, students must complete clinical externships at institutional and community pharmacies. The program admits students twice a year – the full-time day program begins in the Fall and a full-time evening program begins in the Spring.
- Submit a completed application
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Obtain admission to San Jacinto College
- Must undergo a background check
- Pass a 10-panel drug screen
- Submit immunization records – Tdap, MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Influenza, TB Skin Test
- Must have a Pharmacy Technician Trainee License
The program cost is $3,118 inclusive of textbooks, lab fee, insurance, immunizations, uniform, college fees and Texas State Board Registration.
- Website: http://www.sanjac.edu/career/pharmacy-technician
- Address: 5800 Uvalde Road Houston, Texas 77049-4599
- Phone: (281) 459-7155
- Email: North.PharmTech@sjcd.edu
Bell Tech Career Institute
The pharmacy technician certificate course at Bell Tech Career Institute covers the essential skills and knowledge that adults need to assist licensed pharmacists with the dispensing of prescription medications. The curriculum includes theory and hands-on work to give students confidence in their ability to practice in retail and institutional pharmacies. Courses include pharmacology, pharmacy terminology, customer service, dosage calculations, pharmacy operations, billing and insurance, inventory control, drug names, reading and interpreting prescriptions, and packaging and labeling. The duration of the program is 36 weeks. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen
- Pass a criminal background check
- Provide record of up-to-date immunizations – Varicella, Hepatitis B, Tdap, MMR, Influenza
- Have a valid driver’s license and social security card
The program cost includes textbooks and fees.
- Website: http://belltechcareerinstitute.com/admission/pharmacy-tech/
- Address: 12000 Richmond Ave, suite 130, Houston, TX 77082
- Phone: (713) 636-2659
- Alt: (832) 770-0750