An online pharmacy technician program provides fast and flexible training to become a pharmacy technician in Texas. The online program provides the same support and resources as on-campus programs, including the opportunity to participate in on-campus lab simulations and a pharmacy externship. The pharmacy technician curriculum covers essential topics required for graduates to provide technical services that do not require the professional judgment of a pharmacist. You will learn how to compound sterile and non-sterile pharmaceuticals, perform pharmacy calculations, distribute medications, receive and interpret prescriptions, prepare and maintain prescription orders, manage inventory of medications, respect patient privacy, and serve the basic needs of customers. As pharmacy technicians take on additional tasks to free the pharmacist from mundane duties, formal training and certification have become essential for functioning effectively in the role.
PIMA Medical Institute
The hybrid pharmacy technician certificate program at PIMA Medical Institute includes online lectures and hands-on training in the lab. Both theory and practical training seek to support the development of professional skills such as customer service, preparation of prescriptions, patient profiling, and drug inventory maintenance. The program covers a total of 840 contact hours – 350 theory, 250 lab, and 240 externship hours. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, math fundamentals, pharmacy math, inventory maintenance, pharmacology, pharmacy law and ethics, pharmacy technician duties, lab skills, fundamentals of chemistry, and math fundamentals. The blended learning offers flexibility to students who need it. Hybrid students receive the same support offered to students enrolled in the on-campus programs. They benefit from mental health resources, student services, career services, and resume writing. Graduates will earn 35.5 credit hours which may be acceptable for credit toward the Healthcare Administration Associate of Applied Science Degree at PMI. The duration of the program is 20 weeks.
- Submit an application for admission to the college
- Provide documentation of completing high school
- Meet with a PMI admissions representative
- Must be 18 years or older – parental waiver is required for persons under 18
- Take an entrance exam and pass with a minimum score
- A criminal background check and immunization records may be required for participating in the pharmacy externship
Tuition is $ $16,909 plus expenses for books and supplies. Financial aid is available for qualifying students.
- Website: https://pmi.edu/
- Address: 10201 Katy Freeway Houston, TX 77024
- Phone: 800-477-PIMA
San Jacinto College
The Pharmacy Technician Program at San Jacinto College includes training online, on-campus lab sessions, and a pharmacy externship at an institutional and community pharmacy. The Advanced Level Training Program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). It leads to a Certificate of Technology for students who complete a total of 864 contact hours that total 32 credit hours. Students will acquire knowledge and skills to work in retail and hospital pharmacies. Course modules include essentials of medical terminology, drug classifications, pharmacy law, pharmacy math, introduction to pharmacy, community pharmacy practice, pharmacy drug therapy, compounding sterile preparations and aseptic technique, institutional pharmacy practice, and pharmacy technician certification review. In the final semester, students must complete clinical externships at institutional and community pharmacies. Graduates may register to take the National Certification Exam, which is required for practice as a Certified Pharmacy Technician in the state of Texas. The program admits students twice a year – the full-time day program begins in the Fall and a full-time evening program begins in the Spring.
- Meet the requirements for admission to San Jacinto College
- Submit a completed application for admission to the pharmacy technician program
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Complete and submit TSAI scores
- Obtain a clear background check
- Pass a 10-panel drug screen
- Must have a valid social security number
- Submit immunization records – Tdap, MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Influenza, TB Skin Test
- Must have a Pharmacy Technician Trainee License
The program cost of $3,302 for in-district students and $5,126 for those out-of-district includes tuition, textbooks. TSBP registration (Trainee License), drug screen, immunization tracker, and background check.
- Website: https://www.sanjac.edu/
- Address: 5800 Uvalde Road Houston, Texas 77049-4599
- Phone: (281) 459-7155
University of Houston
The online pharmacy technician program at the University of Houston prepares adults for success on the PTCB exam. Students will learn the federal and state laws that govern pharmacies as well as the ethics of pharmacy practice. The curriculum covers topics such as orientation to pharmacy, pharmacology, pharmacy law and ethics, pharmaceutical calculations, insurance and inventory procedures, communication skills, pharmacology of medications in relation to the anatomy affected, and medical and pharmaceutical terms. Upon completion of the theoretical requirements, students may be eligible to participate in a pharmacy externship at a local CVS of Walgreens pharmacy. Participants must pass a drug screen, obtain professional liability insurance, and complete a background check. Access to the program is available for 12 months.
- There are no prerequisites for admission
- Must have a computer and access to the internet
- Pass a background check, drug screen, and provide proof of immunization to participate in the pharmacy externship
The program cost of $2,495 includes tuition and all course materials.
- Website: https://www.uh.edu/
- Address: Houston, Texas 77204
- Phone: (713) 743-2255
Houston Community College
Houston Community College offers a Workforce Certificate pharmacy technician program that includes some online course delivery. The certificate level course covers 38 credit hours. Course topics include Drug Classification, Pharmaceutical Mathematics I, Community Pharmacy Practice, Professional Practices for Pharmacy Technicians, Institutional Pharmacy Practice, Pharmacotherapy & Disease Process, Compounding Sterile Preparations, Pharmaceutical Mathematics II, Clinical Pharmacy Technician/Assistant I, II and Capstone, and Pharmacy Technician Certification Review. Candidates must complete the prerequisite courses Introduction to Health Professions and Introduction to Pharmacy. Students will participate in a pharmacy externship at a local hospital and retail pharmacy. The certificate program is accredited by the ASHP. Graduates will be eligible to apply to sit for the national PTCB exam. The duration of the program is three semesters.
- Submit a completed application
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade C (GPA 2.0) or higher
- Complete a placement test – for applicants who did not attend high school
- Complete a background check
- Complete a physical exam on the HCC physical exam form
- Provide proof of medical insurance
- Take and pass a 21-panel drug screen
- Provide record of immunizations – Tetanus, MMR, Varicella, Seasonal Flu, TB Skin test, and Hepatitis B
- Must have current CPR (BLS) certification
The program cost of $4,887.50 includes tuition, textbooks, physical exam, criminal background check, drug screen, immunization, medical insurance, uniforms, and parking.
- Website: http://www.hccs.edu/
- Address: 3100 Main St., Houston TX 77002
- Phone: (713) 718-2000
University of Houston Downtown
The online pharmacy technician program at the University of Houston Downtown campus prepares students to dispense prescription medications under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in home infusion pharmacies, hospitals, and community pharmacies. Course topics include the history of pharmacy and healthcare, drug regulation and control, parenterals and compounding, aseptic technique and handling of sterile products, routes and formulations, pharmaceutical terminology and anatomy, pharmacy technician certification review and registration, basic biopharmaceutics, Total Parenteral Nutrition, factors affecting drug activity, brand names and generic drugs, inventory management and financial issues, and drug names and classes. Students will participate in an 80-hour pharmacy externship after completing the requirements in the classroom. Graduates will be prepared to take the PTCB to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Apply for admission to the program
- Complete a background check and drug screen
- Provide record of immunization including TB test
Tuition for the online course is $1199 inclusive of course materials and externship.
- Website: https://www.uhd.edu/
- Address: 2700 Bay Area Boulevard Houston, TX 77058
- Phone: (713) 221-8032
Alvin Community College
Alvin Community College offers a hybrid Pharmacy Technician Program that leads to a Pharmacy Technician Certificate. The program includes didactic courses that will be delivered online followed by hands-on lab conducted on campus and a pharmacy externship at a community and hospital pharmacy. The certificate program requires completion of 32 credit hours. Course topics include introduction to pharmacy, drug classification, pharmaceutical mathematics, community pharmacy practice pharmacy terminology, pharmacy drug therapy and treatment, pharmacy therapy and disease process, compounding, sterile preparations, and institutional pharmacy practice. Students will complete a 256-hour clinical internship as part of the program. The externship covers 16 to 20 hours per week. Graduates will be prepared to sit the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam to become Certified Pharmacy Technicians. They may advance to the Certificate Level II program or the Associate Degree program. The duration of the program is two semesters.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Meet the requirements for admission to Alvin Community College
- Apply for admission to the Pharmacy Technician program
- Complete a background check and have no felonies in the last 5 years
- Not be on suspension or academic probation
- Provide a record of up-to-date immunizations – hepatitis B, varicella, MMR, measles (second vaccination), tetanus/diphtheria, and non-reactive PPD skin test
- Must have current CPR for Healthcare Providers
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen
- Must register as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee with the State Board of Pharmacy
Tuition and fees for the program is $2,100 for in-district students and $3,600 for those out of district. Additional fees for books and supplies cost approximately $515.
- Website: https://www.alvincollege.edu/index.html
- Address: 3110 Mustang Road, Alvin, TX 77511
- Phone: 281-756-3500