Train to become a pharmacy technician and start a rewarding new career in the healthcare industry. Online pharmacy technician programs provide the knowledge and skills you need to pass a national certification exam and obtain entry-level employment in pharmacies such as drug stores, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and mail order pharmacies. Online pharmacy technician programs deliver the theoretical content online for convenience. They also incorporate a practical component such as an externship for students to obtain real-world experience in a pharmacy environment. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, pharmacy technician jobs are projected to increase by 5% through 2031.
San Francisco State University
The online/hybrid pharmacy technician program at San Francisco State University prepares adults to work as a pharmacy technician in a retail or other pharmacy setting. The comprehensive course includes 50 hours of online training and an 80-hour clinical externship. Course topics includes pharmacy sterile compounding, dose conversions, aseptic technique, the handling of sterile products, total parenteral nutrition, dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control, and billing and reimbursement. Some areas of study include role of the pharmacy technician, evolution of pharmacy, children’s doses, the metric system, major classes of drugs, prescription label requirements, and review of hospital pharmacy setting. The fully online option includes six months of access to the course materials, textbooks, and other resources that aid self-paced study.
- A high school diploma or GED
- Must have taken math and science in high school
- Must have a computer and internet access
- Must pass a criminal background check to participate in the pharmacy externship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Tuition for the program is $1,399 and includes all textbooks and materials.
- Website: https://cel.sfsu.edu/pharmacy
- Address: 835 Market Street, 6th Floor, San Francisco, California 94103
- Phone: (888) 963.5967
City College of San Francisco
The pharmacy technician program at City College of San Francisco includes convenient online study. The program leads to a Certificate of Achievement. Students also have the option to complete additional coursework to obtain an Associate of Science degree. The didactic and laboratory courses cover a total 30 units. Students will gain practical experience in the lab in preparation for the clinical practice externship. The clinical practice externship will consist of two 120-hour clinical rotations in a licensed pharmacy. Students will learn the role and function of the pharmacy technician, receiving and dispensing prescriptions, inventory management, brand name and generic drugs, aseptic techniques, and pharmacy operations. Graduates will be eligible to apply to take the PTCB exam.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Submit official high school transcript indicating graduating or GED
- Must have a 2.0 GPA on college or high school transcript
- Attend an individual orientation session
- Submit a completed physical exam report and proof of immunity for specific communicable diseases
- Complete a satisfactory background check and drug screen after acceptance into the program
- Complete the prerequisite to the program – Math 60 and ENGL 88 or ESL 188 or placement in ENGL 1A
- Complete a placement test in Math and English
- Submit a completed application for admission
Tuition costs $46 per unit for California residents and $360 per unit for nonresidents. Additional costs for books, supplies, uniforms, equipment, student health fee, and certification are not included.
- Website: https://www.ccsf.edu/
- Address: 1860 Hayes Street, San Francisco CA 94117
- Phone: (415) 561-1900
The pharmacy technician program at Mission College includes some online coursework. The curriculum is written by pharmacists and taught by both pharmacists and certified pharmacy technicians practicing in all areas of pharmacy. The intensive program takes a practical approach to training to prepare students for employment in diverse pharmacy settings in the shortest possible time. It is open to high school graduates, college students, and other health care professionals. Students will participate in over 400 hours of instruction including class and lab instruction, workshop sessions, tutoring, and hands-on training in a pharmacy. The lab activities allow for student engagement in a new state-of-the-art lab complete with computer stations, a clinical lab, and simulation pharmacy. Course topics include intro to pharmacy practice, pharmacy law, pharmacy calculations, managed care, pharmacy terminology, compounding, institutional pharmacy practice, outpatient pharmacy practice, prescription computer processing, and clinical pharmacy externship. Graduates will be prepared to sit for the national certification exam. The duration of the program is 30 weeks. Day classes meet Monday through Thursday from August to March. Evening classes meet Monday through Thursday from February to August.
- Watch the informational video posted on the school’s website
- Attend a formal interview with the program director
- Provide proof of high school diploma or GED
- English 1A is recommended
- Complete a satisfactory background check
- Must pass health clearance
- Must have a current resume
- Must submit to random drug test
- Take and pass the Assessment Tests
Tuition is $5,500 inclusive of deposit and class materials. A flexible payment plan is offered to all students. The program is not eligible for financial aid.
- Website: https://missioncollege.edu/
- Address: 3000 Mission College Boulevard Santa Clara, CA 95054-1897
- Phone: 408-855-5083
Northern California Nursing Academy
The hybrid pharmacy technician program at Northern California Nursing Academy prepares students to dispense prescriptions and health care products under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist. The training will include theory and practical instruction in pharmacy fundamentals. After completing the theoretical requirements, students will complete 160 hours of externship at a community pharmacy. Course topics include pharmacology, dosage calculations, pharmacy operations, inventory management, aseptic techniques, receiving and preparing prescriptions, and billing and insurance. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion and will be eligible to apply for a license through the California State Board of Pharmacy. The duration of the program is 5 months. Classes meet Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Must complete an Enrollment Agreement
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must pay the registration fee
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have a valid government ID and social security card
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English – both verbal and written
- Submit an Application for Admission and the non-refundable registration fee
- Provide proof of good health – through an exam performed by a physician or nurse practitioner
- Must submit Covid 19 vaccination record
The program cost of $6,417.50 includes tuition and books.
- Website: https://www.ncnursingacademy.com/
- Address: 355 Gellert Blvd Ste 101 Daly City CA 94015
- Phone: 650-992-NCNA (6262)
- Alt: 650-684-0315
- Fax: (650) 992-6263
The pharmacy technician program at Foothills College includes some courses delivered online. The program is accredited by the ASHP and leads to a Certificate of Achievement in Advanced-Level Pharmacy Technician. Students will acquire skills to work as entry-level pharmacy technicians in a variety of pharmacy settings including hospitals, nursing homes, community/retail, home health care, and public and government agencies. Pharmacy technician courses are delivered in sequence. Course topics include pharmacy technician as a career, introduction to allied health programs, orientation to pharmacy technology, pharmacy law for pharmacy technicians, ambulatory pharmacy practice, dosage calculations, pharmacology, interprofessional patient competencies, inpatient dispensing, aseptic technique, dispensing and compounding, and pharmacy technician certification exam review. Students must complete 42 units to obtain a Certificate of Achievement. Graduates are eligible to take the PTCE to become Certified Pharmacy Technician. They may also complete additional general education coursework to obtain an Associate in Science degree. The duration of program is 9 months.
- A high school diploma or equivalency
- Complete Human Biology or higher with a grade C or better
- Complete Elementary Algebra or higher with a grade C or better
- Complete English 100 or higher with a grade C or better
- Keyboarding proficiency of 35 wpm or higher and Anatomy and Physiology are recommended but not required
- Pass a criminal background check
- Must obtain a clear drug screen
The program cost is $1,900 for California residents.
- Website: https://www.foothill.edu/
- Address: 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
- Phone: (650) 949-6121
California State University, East Bay – Continuing Education
Cal State East Bay’s Online Pharmacy Technician Program provides students with the skills required to succeed in hospital and retail settings. Online delivery gives students the flexibility to student at their own pave and incorporate their learning experience in a way that works best. Although the content is delivered via distance learning, students will have the same experience and high-quality education as traditional on-campus students. Course topics include orientation of pharmacy, pharmacy law and ethics, medical and pharmaceutical terminology, pharmaceutical calculations, pharmacology, communication skills, insurance and inventory procedures, lab module, clinical rotations, and final comprehensive exam. Students must complete and pass a comprehensive final exam. They will have the opportunity to participate in externship programs with CVS and Walgreens to gain hands-on experience in the handling of prescriptions, answering patient questions, and managing administrative duties. Graduates will be prepared to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s (PTCB) National Certification Exam. Students will have access to the course for 12 months.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Must be proficient in keyboarding
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word or other word processing program
- Have a command of English grammar and punctuation
- Have a basic understanding of high school math
- Pass a drug screening test
- Complete a background check and employment verification
- Must conform with and complete any state mandates such as registration, fingerprinting and licensing
- Obtain professional liability insurance
- Complete the immunization requirements
Tuition costs $2,565 and includes textbooks and course materials.
- Website: https://ce.csueastbay.edu/index.html
- Address: 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd, SF 102, Hayward, CA 94542
- Phone: (800) 730-2784
- Fax: (510) 885-4817
Contra Costa Medical Career College
The Online Pharmacy Technician certificate program at Contra Costa Medical Career College gives students the tools to enter the healthcare world as a professional in a retail pharmacy, hospital, home health setting, mail order or pharmaceutical wholesalers industry. The program is approved by the State of California and qualifies students to sit for the PTCB national exam. Course topics include pharmacy law and ethics, pharmacy regulatory guidelines, pharmacy math, inventory maintenance, pharmacology, clerical duties, pharmacy lab skills, computer applications, and pharmacy technician externship. Hands-on activities in the lab will prepare students to mix intravenous solutions, count tablets and label bottles, handle computer order entry of prescriptions, receive writing prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, stock inventory prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, and provide medication and other health products to patients. Students will complete a 120-hour externship after completing the theoretical portion of the program. Students will receive a Certificate of Completion after obtain California State licensure (registration #).
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Must pass a urine drug screen
- Must have BLS for Healthcare Providers
Tuition costs $3,950. Other costs include registration fee, STRF fee, textbooks, uniforms, BLS certification, background check, drug screen, Live Scan, state licensing fee, and self-query fee.
- Website: https://www.ccmcc.edu/
- Address: 4041 Lone Tree Way, Suite 101, Antioch, Ca 94531
- Phone: 1 (925) 757-2900
- Fax: 1 (925) 757-5873