Pharmacy technicians use their skills, knowledge, and training to perform a wide variety of pharmacy related tasks under the care and direction of a registered pharmacist. They are integral to the success of any pharmacy as they assist with the dispensing of medications, manage inventory of medications and other health care products, and perform administrative tasks. They work in a number of pharmacy settings, including grocery stores, hospitals, community pharmacies, nursing homes, home infusion pharmacies, and pharmaceutical companies. Since the position does not require extensive training, adult learners can prepare for entry-level employment in a few months and obtain a license from the California Board of Pharmacy to begin working sooner than it would take to prepare for other careers in health. Most graduates obtain jobs immediately after graduation due to the rapidly growing job market. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a faster than average rate of growth for pharmacy technicians, especially as demand for health care products with the baby boomer populations escalates. Pharmacy technicians in California earn an average salary of $38,307 annually.
The pharmacy technician program at Carrington College is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The curriculum covers 375 lecture hours, 225 lab hours, and 240 practical hours for a total of 36 semester credit hours. Areas of study include nervous systems, anti-infectives and retail operations, retail operations lab, pharmacy calculations, prescription processing, compounding, hospital operations, parenteral dosage, repackaging theory, body systems and much more. The duration of the certificate program is 36 weeks. Students who successfully complete the program and receive a Certificate of Achievement may continue to the Associate of Science degree program using the online degree option. The AS degree will require the completion of an additional 60 credits covered in approximately 50 weeks. The online general education courses include college algebra, introduction to psychology, environment science, computer literacy, principles of mathematics, English writing and composition, ethics in contemporary society, and environmental science.
- Take and pass the Wonderlic Scholastic Level Exam (SLE) with a score of 13 or higher
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Pass a criminal background check
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen
The program cost of $19,256 includes tuition, books, and supplies.
- Website: https://carrington.edu/
- Address: 8909 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95826
- Phone: 916-585-7770
Charles A. Jones Career & Education Center
The pharmacy technician program at Charles A Jones Career and Education Center prepares adults for national certification. The curriculum covers 1080 hours of theory and practical instruction that supports the development of a broad knowledge base and pharmacy skills so graduates can function competently in retail, inpatient, and outpatient settings. In the skills lab, students learn how to compound extemporaneous preparations and use computers for ambulatory services. Areas of study include pharmacy math, pharmacology for pharmacy technicians, medical terminology, pharmacy computer technology, institutional Rx lab, and a 6-week pharmacy externship. A PTCE preparation class is included in the cost of the program. The review class runs for 2 weeks to prepare students for success. The duration of the program is 36 weeks. Job placement assistance is available for all graduates.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalency
- Attend a mandatory orientation
- Take and pass an assessment test – reading – 239, math – 236
- Demonstrate a typing speed of 35 wpm
- Provide a negative TB test or chest x-ray
- Provide a government issued photo ID and social security card
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalency and attend an orientation and assessment. The orientation is open every Wednesday from 8:15 am to 11:00 am – a picture ID is required.
The total program cost of $10,620 includes tuition, fee, books, uniforms, insurance, material fees, and drug screening.
- Website: https://caj.scusd.edu/
- Address: 5451 Lemon Hill Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95824
- Phone: (916) 433-2600
- Fax: (916) 433-2640
Cosumnes River College
Students who successfully complete the pharmacy technology program at Consumnes River College will earn an Associate of Science degree in Pharmacy Technology. The curriculum includes classroom lectures, hands-on skills lab, and practicum components to support the development of clinical skills. The program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and graduates are eligible for registration with the California State Board of Pharmacy. The curriculum follows a defined sequence, which requires completion of the prerequisites with a grade C or above before advancing to the next course. Course modules include an introduction to pharmacy practice, pharmaceutical calculations, pharmacology of therapeutic agents, pharmaceutical information management, retail operations of pharmaceutical practice, preparation of sterile products, pharmacy technician profession, acute care practicum, and retail practicum. Graduates will be prepared to take the PTCB exam for national certification.
- Complete the pre-enrollment form
- Submit official high school and college transcripts
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must complete a physical to obtain health clearance
- Submit documentation of immunization – MMR, hepatitis B, Tdap, varicella, and negative TB skin test
- Undergo a criminal background screen
- Complete a satisfactory drug screen
- Must have liability insurance and health insurance throughout the program
Tuition costs $46 per unit for residents. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://crc.losrios.edu/
- Address: 8401 Center Parkway, Sacramento, CA 95823
- Phone: (916) 691-7344
- Email: email@example.com
Asher College – Sacramento
Asher College prepares pharmacy technician students for a career in the field of pharmacy technology. Instructors are experienced professionals who are familiar with the ins and outs of the profession. The program includes lectures and hands-on lab to inspire confidence and professionalism. Graduates are prepared for success on the national certification exam and can hit the ground running in an entry-level position. Areas of study include medical terminology, typing fundamentals, Microsoft Office essentials, pharmacy practice essentials, pharmacy technology, advanced career development, pharmacology, pharmaceutical calculations, pharmacy law and ethics, and advanced pharmacy practice. The total program is 926 contact hours or 63.20-quarter credit hours. Graduates of the ASHP accredited program will be prepared to take the national certification exam. The duration of the program is 39 weeks for full-time students. Other flexible schedule options are available.
- Must have a high school academic record or a certified copy of an official GED test results
- Must meet with an Admissions Advisor and Financial Aid Representative
- Take and pass an entrance exam to demonstrate proficiency in English and mathematics
- Must take and pass the Wonderlic entrance exam with a minimum score of 200 verbal and 145 quantitative
- Complete a Live Scan Request form for fingerprint scanning
- Submit a completed application for admission to the program
- Pay the registration fee of $100
The total program cost of $18,509 includes STRF, registration, books, and tuition.
- Website: https://asher.edu/
- Address: 1215 Howe Ave Suite 101, Sacramento, CA 95825
- Phone: (916) 900-2850
The pharmacy technician program at Intercoast Colleges is fully accredited and designed to provide adults with a complete, formal educational program that meets and exceeds certification standards. Theory and hands-on activities comply with the requirements for the profession so graduates will be prepared to provide excellent service in retail and community pharmacies. Students will learn how to conduct transactions in the pharmacy, receive and fill prescriptions, count and bottle tablets, create prescription labels, keep patient records, submit insurance claim forms, maintain pharmacy inventory, and much more. The curriculum covers a total of 800 contact hours. Course topics include professional development, health care fundamentals, medical terminology, medical law and ethics, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, pharmacy fundamentals, pharmacy calculations, sterile product preparation, pharmacy compounding, and externship.
- Attend an interview with an admissions representative
- Pass an entrance exam
- Submit an application for admission to the program
- Provide a copy of a photo ID and social security card
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Meet the program’s health requirements including negative TB test or chest x-ray
- Pass a criminal background check and drug screen
The total program cost for the pharmacy technician program is $19,105. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://intercoast.edu/
- Address: 9738 Lincoln Village Dr. Suite 120, Sacramento, CA 95827
- Phone: 916-714-5400