Years ago, pharmacy technicians received all their training on the job. However, as most employers today demand formal training and certification, prospective pharmacy technicians must graduate from a program and register with the Pharmacy Technical Certification Board to increase their chances of employment. The state of New York does not regulate pharmacy technicians at this time, and since certification is not required, there may be pharmacy chains willing to hire without certification. Employers generally favor certified pharmacy technicians, so it’s worthwhile to pursue this course of action. Pharmacy tech training is available at hospitals, technical colleges, community colleges and private programs. Below is a list of the best pharmacy technician training programs in Buffalo N.Y.
Erie Community College
The department of Workforce Development at Erie Community College facilitates an online pharmacy technician training program to prepare students for an entry-level position at a hospital and community pharmacy. The course covers 12 comprehensive modules. These include What is a Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacology, Pharmacy Rules and Regulations, Inside a Working Pharmacy, Medical Terminology, Anti-Infectives: The Drugs That Kill The Bugs, Heart/Lungs/Stomach, Pain the Brain Drugs, Hormones/Eyes/Ears, Pharmacy Math, Communication, and Future of Pharmacy Technicians. Upon completion of the training, students will be ready to pass the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s (PTCB) exam. Students will have access to the course for 6 weeks.
- There are no prerequisites for the course
- Must have a PC or Mac and accepts to a personal email account and internet
Tuition is $115 and includes the instructional materials.
- Website: https://www.ecc.edu/
- Address: 121 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, New York 14203
- Phone: (716) 851-1800
- Fax: (716) 851-1808
Buffalo Center for Arts and Technology
The Buffalo Center for Arts and Technology (BCAT) facilitates a pharmacy technician program for adults 21 years of age or older. Students will gain hands-on experience to obtain pharmacy technician employment. The curriculum follows the best practices of PTCB and ASHP. Course topics include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, community pharmacy software, pharmacology, pharmacy, pharmacy practice, and professional development. After completing the on-campus requirements, students will participate in a 130-hour internship at a clinical partner site. Graduates will be eligible to take the national certification exam through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board. BCAT is an approved training site for the PTCB exam. A limited number of applicants are selected for each cycle. The duration of the program is 14 weeks. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Must take the self-assessment review before submitting an application and letter of intent
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must schedule and attend an interview with a BCAT representative
Tuition is free. All students selected for the workforce development program will receive a scholarship that will cover the cost of tuition and books.
- Website: https://buffaloartstechcenter.org/
- Address: 1221 Main Street, Buffalo, New York 14209
- Phone: (716) 259-1680
- Email: email@example.com
Bryant & Stratton College
The pharmacy technician program at Bryant & Stratton College prepares students for employment in a clinical or retail pharmacy setting. The program is offered fully online or at the Buffalo campus, and provides a foundation for real-world situations encountered in the pharmacy. The 160-hour program will cover dosage calculations, drug classifications, inventory control and proper dispensing of prescriptions. It will be broken into two 80-hour segments. The first 80 hours will be spent in the classroom. After completing the classroom coursework, students will participate in an 80-hour externship at a local pharmacy to gain real-world experience. Graduates will be eligible to take the PTCB to become a certified pharmacy technician.
- Submit to a thorough background check
- Complete a successful drug screen
- Complete other requirements as indicated by the clinical partners
Tuition for the program does not include the PTCB fee.
- Website: https://www.bryantstratton.edu/
- Address: 854 Long Pond Rd., Rochester, NY 14612
- Phone: 585-720-0660
Niagara County Community College
The pharmacy technician program at Niagara County Community College prepares students for employment as a pharmacy technician. The curriculum covers 63 clock hours of instruction in the classroom. Course topics include pharmacy math, pharmacology, pharmacy operations, medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, dispensing prescriptions, pharmacy billing and software, and customer service. Graduates will be prepared to sit for the PTCB exam. Classes meet Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm for two months.
- Apply for admission to the program
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be dependable and detailed-oriented
- Must have some computer skills and be able to type
- Must have some aptitude in math
Tuition for the program is $800. The cost of course materials is not included.
- Website: https://www.niagaracc.suny.edu/
- Address: 3111 Saunders Settlement Rd., Sanborn, NY 14132
- Phone: 716-614-6222
The pharmacy technician program at Gerard Place prepares students for employment in a community pharmacy. Students learn how to measure, mix, count out, label, and record amounts and dosages of medications based on prescription orders and provide customer service to clients. Classes meet Mondays and Wednesdays for 8 weeks.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Apply for admission to the program
Scholarships are available for 10 candidates each cycle. It covers the cost of tuition and books.
- Website: https://gerardplace.org/
- Address: 2515 Bailey Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14215
- Phone: (716) 897-9948